Clear all

Smart Morph Noise Artifacts

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

For lack of a better description, for example when I morph between parts while holding down the keys, the part at the end is distorted until I retrigger the key.

In order to create a smooth & playable SM voice I wouldn't want FM artifacts or extreme volume variations within the path from part to part.

Is there a way to normalize the path and have the parts sound cleanly when keys or chords are held as the morph makes it full transition from part to part without having to physically retrigger the keys at the moment the parts are reached?

In another example I have 3 parts within the straight line path of the morph so I can hit (3) parts, (2) at the end and (1) in the middle.

Of the (3), only (1) ends with the correct and original sound of the voice while the other (2) are some variation of their original sound and have to be retriggered to sound like they originally sound. If we could make these land cleanly without a retrigger it would be usable.

Posted : 05/07/2020 3:11 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Use donor PARTs with less differences and with differences only with parameters that do not themselves generally cause artifacts.

So control the spread of differences and don't force things that could be "wild" like algorithm differences.

Posted : 05/07/2020 6:00 am
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I tried to do that. I wanted to morph only organs into some usable performance.

I selected similar FM organs and usually the more you add the more dramatic however you can also get 3 in a row which is useful.

I wonder whether Yamaha can make the line change angles instead of only a straight line in the future? Then you could cross several alone a path or even all of them.

So like you're saying, less is more and what I found to be useful was only extending out a short distance in any direction until a usable part was discovered.

By usable I mean an enjoyable & melodic tones in transition without some alarming artifacts or loud volume changes.

If Yamaha can normalize or smooth out theses bumps in the road then seriously usable parts might emerge.

Obviously we can't execute "Learn" one billion scenarios until we find the best one however this tool has peaked my interest enough to purchase another Montage, sold my 8 a year ago.

The funky morphing is cool for a moment but usable parts are what everyone wants. The answer here is "less is more" and staying close to the home base, the root part, works pretty well. I'm just getting started experimenting and exploring to see what can be accomplished with SM. I like to set the path and then control the motion with the SK from the pedal. If it could project out in multiple paths from the base or change angles that would be nice.

Posted : 05/07/2020 4:20 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us