Notifications
Clear all

Volume Control and Multi Part Instruments

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Jeff
Topic starter

Hello all, need some help understanding volume control of multi part instruments. For example, when we load up the CFX+FM piano performance and use the super knob to morph between the CFX and FM piano, the super knob is adjusting assignable knobs 1 and 2 which are assigned to the different parts respective volume parameter. (I've read Bad Misters morphing article). Here are my questions, points of confusion:

1) when we morph between the two sounds mentioned above, why doesn't the volume indicators in performance view of all the parts move as well?
Is the the volume parameter being adjusted different by the assignable knobs (via super knob) different than the parameter that the volume indicator in performance view looks at?

2) if i create a performance from scratch. Say CFX piano (multi part) and Galaxy DX (single part) as an example, is there a way to assign one fader to all the CFX parts (moving the volumes keeping their relative levels) and another to the Galaxy. One fader for the Galaxy part is easy, but must I assign knob to control all of the CFX part volumes simultaneously? You can see how it can get tedious setting up say 2 multi part instruments in a performance and their respective volume controls.

3) my final question has to do with VSTi. It's easy to assign the assignable knobs to volume control different VSTi (faders work as well). But when I assign the superknob to move the assignable knobs the volume of the VSTis don't change... only works when I physically move the assignable knobs. Is this a limitation of the montage? Just trying to setup morphs of vstis and vsti and montage sounds.

Posted : 26/10/2016 3:06 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

1) Because destination curves are offsets from where the actual parameter is. If the destination is volume, and the volume is controlled by a fader - then the fader position is the "base" value and the destination curve is applying an offset (higher, equal, or lower) from the "base". So, in this volume example, I see the fader as setting the "non-adjusted" volume. You cannot make anything external affect the "non-adjusted" volume except the fader itself. Same with other parameters - the "non-adjusted" setting of other parameters is whatever you program in the touchscreen for those settings. Then the superknob comes along, affects another knob, that in turn has a destination curve - and this curve affects the OFFSET from the non-adjusted value.

2) Yes - you have different options here. I'm going to skip merging the CFX parts since that's not what you seem to want to do. But you can have one "Common Assignable" knob control many different parts as the destination. Just add, as a destination to the common knob all the parts (Part 1 - Part 4 for example) assignable knob 1. Then Part 1 AsgnKnob 1 set to control volume part 1, Part 2 AsgnKnob 1 set to control volume of part 2 and so on. You're already referencing tutorials, so no need to deep dive here.

Controlling volume of one part is the same as controlling the volume of many parts. Just go through the process more times and be sure to setup your link between the common knob and the part's own assignable knob. Then "rinse and repeat".

3) This is covered elsewhere. I don't use the keyboard in this manner - so I don't have it off the cuff. Others will point you to some previous threads which cover what can be done.

Posted : 27/10/2016 12:08 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us