Clear all

What's in a name? (The M After Montage)

91 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

We know the next Montage will be called "Montage M" generically and, specifically: Montage M6, Montage M7, and Montage M8x. The most definitive source for the series name (Montage M) is on the "Sneak Peek" article which has URL with "Montage_M". So this is direct from Yamaha. Indirectly, we have several sources for the specific product names. Early warranty site names, shipping records from Japan to Indonesia (each model shows up there).

... on the other site, there's a fair amount of discussion of this name and what it may mean. The "M" after"Montage", that is. There are good summaries of possibilities and I don't need to throw more onto the table or repeat what was said there. Rather, there was a long message that was authored to rule out some of the possibilities. This is what I will provide some specifics on in an indirect response and to maybe spark conversation here about the same topic.

One thing said was that there was a feature that isn't "exciting enough" for the "M" to stand for it. I don't really agree that there is any kind of bar for what the "M" means and I also do not agree with the notion that it has to stand for one thing and not multiple things. Allow me to provide some historical context using specifics from the Motif ES. The "nice" thing about the Motif ES is that Yamaha themselves went into fairly elaborate detail on what "ES" means. They defined "ES" to mean Expanded System as the primary meaning and then offered a bunch of other meanings in a product brochure.

Source: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/brochure/6/317216/MOTIF_ES_catalogue.pdf

Motif ES - "Expanded System"
The catalogue for the ES also used the following "E S" words with the "E" and "S" in a different color than the rest:
Enhanced Sound (set)
Evolved Synthesis (engine)
Expressive Sampled (sounds)
Enhanced Signal (processing effects system)
Easy Song (making using new "phrase factory" )
Exceptional Sampling
Extensive Sequencing
Expressive Surface (for real-time control)
Elegant System (integration with DAWs)
Efficient Storage (via USB hosting and smart media)
Expansion Slot (for mLAN networking or more audio I/O)

Not that "M" has to mean more than one thing - but there's precedence for the mnemonic after the product series name meaning multiple things. From the list above one could say that some things are "minor" compared to the rest. I don't think the meaning needs to denote something ground-breaking (or game changing or ...). Besides, characterization of a feature as "exciting" is subjective. I'm not even sure the characterization of this feature would be considered unexciting to everyone.

There's also a precedence for the letter not being the first letter in a word. XA for "eXpanded Articulation". I think I could probably take a long time searching and figure out what the "X" in XS and XF mean - but there aren't many words that start with "X" so it seems if "X" is alluding to some actual word - that word probably doesn't start with an "X".

... so, to me it could mean anything already guessed or other things not guessed. Wonder if there's any different speculation here.

Posted : 26/09/2023 6:47 pm
Prominent Member

so, to me it could mean anything already guessed or other things not guessed.

I don't see how ANYONE could argue with that conclusion!

Posted : 26/09/2023 7:02 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=123316]Wonder if there's any different speculation here.[/quotePost]
Montagem is a Portuguese word as well...

Posted : 26/09/2023 7:27 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

You quoted me channeling Madden.

Posted : 26/09/2023 8:36 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

Wow, what you both stated could easily be true... πŸ˜‰

I am definitely leaning towards the M standing for more than one thing now!
And looking at what the dictionaries say on google (especially Portuguese translations), whether it was intentional by Yamaha or not, it is definitely kool that it means assembly, erection, editing & production.

MontageM: Assembly [noun] The act of assembling or putting together
1. assembly
2. (architecture) erection
3. (cinema) editing
4. (theatre) production

a montagem de um filme
"the editing of a film"

a montagem de uma mΓ‘quina
"the assembly of a machine"

As far as what some (or all) of the things that I think the M could likely stand for, here is my list:
- Multi-engine/sound source/functional/coloured
- Modelling (AN-X, piano resonance effect, possibly an organ rotary effect)
- Master device/controller (for interconnectivity, inputs/outputs, for sounds, MIDI, etc.)
- Modular
- MIDI
- Movement/Motion on sound
- Monster Synth
- Music Production
- Matrix
- Morphing
- Mojo
- Mosaic

Posted : 26/09/2023 10:14 pm
Eminent Member

Montage Montage

Posted : 26/09/2023 10:36 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I don't think it would mean 1,000 (as in Roman numeral M). "L", which is the Roman numeral for 50, would make sense for this product since it will be only 3 months old when Yamaha Synthesizers turn 50 for the big 50th anniversary. Yamaha did a lot for the 40th - and 50th is usually a bigger deal.

That said, you never know (that is - until you do know).

An "M" upside down looks like a "W" which fits previous years' "Make Waves" slogan. That's a huge stretch - but there are lots of good "W" words that could be part of a workstation ... I mean synthesizer.

Posted : 26/09/2023 11:20 pm
 John
Estimable Member

I don’t visit any other yamaha forums so no idea what has been speculated about this.

I was wondering if it could be a word meaning β€œplus” beginning with M - More or Mega or something like that.

Hopefully it isn’t M for Mortgage with the number after being the number of years to pay it off πŸ˜€

Posted : 27/09/2023 11:28 am

Or it could mean basically nothing. Zero, zip, nada, nil. Take, for instance, the Roland Fantom G. What did the G stand for in the Fantom G? Nothing in particular. Goose Egg? πŸ˜€ The Montage 'M' could simply indicate the next generation flagship synthesizer from Yamaha. It's still Montage, but a replacement of the original Montage. I don't think we should read too much into it. Just imagine if people spent all that time trying to figure out what the "G" meant in the Roland Fantom G? Roland staff and even the CEO of Roland may have started to giggle and then roll on the floor laughing out loud, knowing it didn't mean nuttin'. ? Or perhaps the M in the new Montage could simply mean More. As in, 'more' than the original. If the new Montage has an An1x/CS-80/VL1 engine(s) and also MIDI 2.0 those things alone would be additional features that the original Montage lacked. But for goodness' sake, don't lose any sleep over it. ??

Posted : 27/09/2023 3:25 pm
david
Reputable Member

One cat out of bag is the ANx. We know that's inside in some form.

Another cat that ran out this week as I think Saul indicated is that it's Modular in some form that remains to be seen.

Whether "M" stands for Modular we shall see. Whether Modular is hardware or software but he also said "outside of the box" which taken literally means components not inside the box.

What that modular can do and how far it can go is the question. How many can be installed at once etc. The modern technology is far beyond those PLG cards of the past. If it's hardware it can likely be more than software can provide but is probably a combination.

He said if you already own a Montage then the "M" might not be as appealing which can mean several things such as it's more of the same or not different enough or maybe too expensive to trade up. I'm not sure exactly.

If it's modular and the base unit isn't that different from the current Montage then that makes sense. Whether these modules are available at the time of release or will be added as time passes etc.

My theory it that the AI tech will go into the Genos2 rather than the "M". AI would lean toward the most possible realism whereas popular synth features such as ANx and modules might go toward the "M". Perhaps the basic "M" unexpanded is very affordable which Saul mentioned as a big negative if it were too expensive to afford.

Lots of clues coming from the only person we know who has insider information and is willing to write about it.

Posted : 27/09/2023 4:59 pm
Prominent Member

OMG! What if the reality is that someone accidentally grabbed an M instead of a W? Pretty easy to do if you have a bin of each one in front of you. Turn one upside down and it looks like the other.

Let's put together a list of what that 'W' might mean.

I'll start it off:

1. Wickedly powerful
2. Wave enhanced

What other ideas come to mind?

Posted : 27/09/2023 5:14 pm
 Paul

[quotePost id=123324]Or it could mean basically nothing. Zero, zip, nada, nil. [/quotePost]

Bingo! We have a winner!

The "M" stands for "MARKETING". πŸ˜€

I sat through soooooooooooooo many meetings with marketing people who would argue endlessly about color, name, whatever.

Montage M is what it is. Accept it. Be Zen. Labels mean nothing. -- pj

Posted : 27/09/2023 5:23 pm
david
Reputable Member

It's funny how much the "coolness" and color and name can make a difference. People like red so they swear by the Nord and pay double for it. The back rear of the Fantom in red looks extremely cool. When you place a synth on a stand on a stage what does everyone see including in videos, photos etc.? They see the back not the front as well as the name and the color. Kind of smart when you think about it. That famous Korg was an "M1" in gigantic letters on the back. Maybe Yamaha is stealing some memories in a way. It's all psychological too.

Posted : 27/09/2023 8:00 pm
Prominent Member

Nobody I've ever known paid double for ANYTHING because it was red.

Posted : 27/09/2023 8:13 pm
 Rick

[quotePost id=123332]Nobody I've ever known paid double for ANYTHING because it was red.

[/quotePost]

Every Nord user is leaving the chat...

(Sorry couldn't resist)

Posted : 27/09/2023 8:26 pm
Page 1 / 7
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us