Notifications
Clear all

What's in a name? (The M After Montage)

91 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member

Every Nord user is leaving the chat...

That red pigment just makes the thing too darn heavy! I'll take the clear lacquer any time.

Colors have their own natural weights. Yellow is a naturally β€œlighter” color, while blue and red are considered naturally β€œheavier”.

Posted : 27/09/2023 8:57 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A week or so ago, I thought "M" may mean money-maker. As in the base product doesn't come with anything that isn't already in Montage (except maybe some new Performances) and to unlock AN-X or other features - you have to pay to unlock. The real cash-cow would be a subscription required to keep your keyboard above the base model with expiration of the subscription pulling your features requiring a re-buy if you want them back. Similar to EDA software I use and grit my teeth getting a subscription every year for.

I hope we can keep this trend at bay for the next few generations (at least).

Posted : 27/09/2023 9:30 pm
david
Reputable Member

Untrue. If you order a candy apple red sport's car your insurance will indeed double. πŸ˜€

Your Tesla has all the goodies all you need to do is pay to unlock them.

Had it been the Montage "T" that would have been a sure giveaway.

Posted : 27/09/2023 10:23 pm
 Paul

Well, MIDI 2.0 is definitely busting out. Gearnews caught a leak of the KORG Keystage MIDI 2.0 controller line. KORG partnered with ASM for polyphonic aftertouch (Polytouch™).

-- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/korg-keystage-midi-2-0/

Posted : 28/09/2023 6:13 pm
Prominent Member

Well, MIDI 2.0 is definitely busting out.

Hmmm -

Cubase 13 supposedly supports MIDI 2
Steinberg owns Cubase
Yamaha owns Steinberg
Montage M supports MIDI 2?

If Montage M does NOT support MIDI 2 then can anyone list what Yamaha products Cubase 13 with MIDI 2 will be used with?

Posted : 28/09/2023 6:36 pm
Eminent Member

After NI's Kontrol MK3 and now Korg's release of MIDI 2.0 controllers, for Yamaha to release (virtually at the same time with Cubase 13) a flagship product missing this implementation would be the omission of the century!

I am fairly confident this won't be the case, just look at that secondary screen section with it's knobs and buttons - they basically scream auto-mapping. πŸ˜€

Which - if properly implemented - even without any additional sound engines, to me is enough to upgrade from my trusty MODX7. The only other thing I truly hope for is either a proper internal sequencer, or a really tight integration with Cubase to make up for it.

Posted : 28/09/2023 7:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I agree, MIDI 2.0 alone is a big deal.

Posted : 28/09/2023 8:17 pm

Some people that own the original Montage have said if the Montage M doesn't have a fully developed sequencer, there would be no reason for them to upgrade. As stated, Yamaha owns Steinberg, therefore from a business perspective it is more profitable for Yamaha to give the Montage M a stripped down sequencer like the original Montage and hope customers use Cubase for all their sequencing needs. If the Montage M doesn't have a fully functional sequencer, and you don't want to pay the exorbitant price for Cubase/Pro, then there are other high-end workstation keyboards on the market such as the Fantom series. The only downside of the Fantom in my opinion is it is supposed to have 256 note polyphony, but many people have complained about note drop out even under normal operating conditions. I recently purchased Cubase 12 Pro, but I hope Yamaha gives people the option and a choice of using a fully developed sequencer on the Montage M for those who don't necessarily want to fork over big bucks for Cubase/Pro and as such be tethered to a computer to be able to sequence stuff in a professional manner. We'll find out one way or the other in October. Btw, most businesses and corporations are concerned mainly about their bottom lines, i.e. increasing profit margins. Consumers who buy the products are further down the totem pole, if you know what I mean. But sometimes a business or corporation will wildly exceed consumer expectations in a benevolent gesture of kindness and good will to their fellow human beings. ? Hopefully, the Montage M will be included in that category. We're pretty sure it has an AN-x synth engine. With perhaps the ability to add additional synth/AWM2/3/FM engines via either hardware add-on cards or via software, like Roland is currently doing with the Fantom series. Plus, since Cubase 13 will apparently include MIDI 2.0 support it makes a whole lot of sense so will the Montage M. ?

Posted : 29/09/2023 8:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Also, some people like me don't use the internal sequencer as a DAW replacement at all. I don't really use a DAW for anything except to help others get setup. Every once and a while I'll analyze someone else's tune using some of the tools in a DAW. That's rare. I think I've done it twice in the past 20 years.

My use of the internal sequencer is to create/edit my user arpeggios. That's where I found my old MO6 as superior when comparing only generating user arpeggios. The DAW vs. internal sequencer doesn't really apply to me unless there's an assertion that creating user arpeggios is a good reason to go to the PC. Which is the only option to get surgical editing right now. However, I do wish event editing is made available to match what the cost-reduced Motif ES could do.

Usually the discussion assumes more-or-less full blown use of a DAW vs. putting something better (better than Montage has) inside the keyboard. That probably describes many but not all who would also like to have a few more features in the internal hardware-based sequencer.

Whatever is going to be inside is already determined - we'll just have to see what we get. And if you don't like the mix of features even without exploring those that are available, then it's your (plural) prerogative to make purchasing decisions based on that.

Posted : 29/09/2023 9:16 pm

So this is kind of interesting. And still kind of on topic, what is the difference in a name. πŸ˜‰

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbKevWU2wvA

Posted : 01/10/2023 7:33 pm
david
Reputable Member

The most recent cat out of bag is that there is going to be an "M" software synth I assume.

The "M" will be both software and hardware. Not sure whether they come together or sold separately or maybe discounted together.

Probably MIDI 2 with ANx for certain, not sure about anything greater than polytouch such as key wiggle like the Electrone or Osmose on the 61/73.

I have the ASM and although it has polytouch it's pretty lame, very hard bottoming out not pleasant to play whatsoever. It's junk compared to the Osmose. Not to mention the ASM Hydrasynth Deluxe is now defective with the latest OS update. They have yet to offer to fix it. Everyone will encounter it depending on the voice selected protect your hearing. Might be underpowered via the wall wart and micro long wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_VDJylgbL8

Posted : 01/10/2023 7:58 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

If there's a plugin or standalone version of the synth similar to Zencore then this would check a major box. If I could use a PC to program my sounds I wouldn't need to keep getting the keyboard out of the case after a gig. That's mainly how I would use it. Not to make music in a DAW but to sculpt my custom sounds used for live play. I might also get more use out of my MIDI controller practicing with a software Montage controlled by a small lightweight controller. It's good for my back.

The information is a bit cagey so I don't put much weight until confirmed by more official sources. Days away I presume.

Posted : 01/10/2023 9:08 pm
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=123382] If the Montage M doesn't have a fully functional sequencer, and you don't want to pay the exorbitant price for Cubase/Pro, then there are other high-end workstation keyboards on the market such as the Fantom series. [/quotePost]
As I understand it, the Fantom sequencer is even weaker than the Montage sequencer, in terms of how it close it comes to a "workstation" (linear multitrack editable) sequencer. It tops out at 64 measures, vs. 256 measures on the Montage. Which is the difference between being long enough for a typical song and not.

Posted : 01/10/2023 10:34 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Others speculate the announce will be at Synthfest UK on Oct 7. I don't know - these days you don't need a venue or anything to announce. There are other events that could or could not be used that occur within a week or two of Synthfest.

"Something is coming" usually has a fairly fast follow of that something actually coming.

Yamaha has released an official statement that the Montage M will not be announced at the Oct. 7 Synthfest UK. So take that date off the table. We know, according to the statement, since the Montage M won't be featured at all during Synthfest that this means the announce will be after this date.

Posted : 04/10/2023 1:27 pm
Prominent Member

Here is the link and a quote for those that missed it.
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/yamaha-synthfest-uk-announcement

There has been much speculation regarding the launch of our successor to the flagship Montage synth which has been announced as an October release. To manage any expectations ahead of the show, we would like to clarify that unfortunately the timing of this new release means that it will not be featured at the show.

In the foreground of the picture a Montage is shown but it is the current/discontinued model.

That 'will not be featured' doesn't necessarily mean that they won't provide some more 'teaser' info about it since I would expect many people to ask them about it directly.

Saying 'no comment' all day long isn't always the best way to win customers over. So you should keep your fingers crossed but it is likely ok to uncross your toes and give them a break.

Posted : 04/10/2023 3:32 pm
Page 2 / 7
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us