Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

What's in a name? (The M After Montage)

91 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 Rick

I'm guessing it will be 9th of October. And 10th Cubase 13 if the shop is back online? I'll probably upgrade to halion 7 while I'm at it 🙂

Posted : 04/10/2023 6:43 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

I've read on a few forums that the new Montage M will have both a hardware and software M version.
If so, is it possible (or if so 'more likely') that the software will be 'HALion M' or 'Montage M Connect' or some entirely new application?

Posted : 04/10/2023 7:20 pm
Prominent Member

is it possible

I ask my trusty Magic 8 Ball two different times and the answer both times was:

Ask again later

All I can say is that it has NEVER been wrong in the past.

So if my 8 ball says 'later' it is GUARANTEED that the answer will come later. Take it to the bank.

Of course it does raise the question as to 'how much later'.

Posted : 04/10/2023 8:06 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'm not guessing schedule. It'll be here "soon" enough.

The possibility of some software offering is interesting. I don't have any idea what this would look like but hope for a VST version of the keyboard I can do sound design on and transfer directly to the keyboard. This may be an influencer for me to go against my current inclination to skip this generation since my workflow would be vastly improved if I didn't have to keep unpacking and repacking my keyboard just to practice or to create my Performances. Roland somewhat has a model for this. From what I can tell, Roland has more software resources that benefit the synthesizer eco system than Yamaha has had in the past. Yamaha, for Motif, released their own "DAW" and editors that could run in it (or as VSTs) that gave a nice graphical representation of all of the settings. They stopped this level of software support in Montage (Classic) scaling back to primarily drivers and then a relatively simple shim application of Montage Connect. Although my confidence is not high in stellar user-level software - maybe they found a way to have Steinberg help out which would be much preferred over a true 3rd party like Melas where it's unlikely to be included. And I also hope that software offering doesn't mean there's yet another mouth to feed in terms of periodic payments.

Posted : 04/10/2023 9:25 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=123443]
I ask my trusty Magic 8 Ball two different times and the answe both times was:
All I can say is that it has NEVER been wrong in the past.
[/quotePost]

I've never had an 8 Ball, but did have a Crystal Ball, and it used to work great for 2 or 3 years. Then it started failing me and no more of my predictions came true. Little did I know that Yamaha had a sinister plan to circumvent my Crystal Ball, because I was giving away all their spoilers on forums, so because of this they decided to cancel the MODX and Montage, and leave everyone guessing for 3 years...jk :p 😀

Posted : 04/10/2023 9:47 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=123444]
The possibility of some software offering is interesting. I don't have any idea what this would look like but hope for a VST version of the keyboard I can do sound design on and transfer directly to the keyboard. This may be an influencer for me to go against my current inclination to skip this generation since my workflow would be vastly improved if I didn't have to keep unpacking and repacking my keyboard just to practice or to create my Performances.
[/quotePost]
I don't know if it's a sure thing or if it will happen, but it would be quite interesting, especially if it could be connected to/integrated with the Montage M, as well as could be used standalone (maybe as a VST like you suggest)..! 😉

Posted : 04/10/2023 9:51 pm
Prominent Member

but did have a Crystal Ball, and it used to work great for 2 or 3 years

Been there - done that. All I can figure is that mine got a crack in it which let moisture in and it's been cloudy ever since.

Posted : 04/10/2023 10:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I was milling around soundcloud looking for Montage M content that wasn't part of the recent sneak peek. I didn't find anything (credible) but I did listen to the old demos provided by Yamaha for the various operating system updates and what was showcased.

One thing that struck me was how "stepped" the old demos sounded. Maybe I listened too much to the FM-X morphing content which has a low resolution but I thought there were non-morphing sounds that sounded like the modulation had less resolution than the new Montage M demos.

I can't say that I love all of the new sounds - but just listening for "sMoothness" it seems like the new demos do a reasonable job of showcasing this quality.

Posted : 04/10/2023 11:34 pm
 Rick

[quotePost id=123449]M = MultiEngine

or, more likely, it's

M = Modulation

[/quotePost]

I think they will skip all black keys so you can play C major (who needs special chords anyway) and transpose / modulate to any root key you wish. The keybed will look cleaner with only white keys and it's cheaper to produce.

Posted : 05/10/2023 6:12 am
Prominent Member

The keybed will look cleaner with only white keys and it's cheaper to produce.

Pretty much a 'racist' statement don't you think?

Posted : 05/10/2023 4:19 pm

[quotePost id=123473]

The keybed will look cleaner with only white keys and it's cheaper to produce.

Pretty much a 'racist' statement don't you think?
[/quotePost]

Don't be an idiot.

Posted : 05/10/2023 4:31 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Looks like the tech talk puts an official endcap on when we will have more information. 10/10. This seems to align with previous rumors that the keyboard will make its way to the distribution channel by 10/9. I'm going to be traveling and nowhere near a music store (to see one in person) so I'll have to just watch the show from afar.

Posted : 05/10/2023 5:40 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

I am curious if Yamaha are planning to release the Montage M on Oct 9th with minimal information and update everyone via Tech Talk on Oct 10th, or will they still have videos and live streaming on the 9th as well with the launch (if that is launch day)..!?

The last time they had a major OS update (3.0) for the Montage classic, they pulled out all the stops, went over to Japan, had numerous live streaming videos, interviews, demos, etc., etc. Of course they also released the Montage White and some reface synths as well...

Just wondering if all the updating, demos, etc. will be done on the 10th during Tech Talk, or while it be split between the 9th and 10th with some information, demos, etc. (more than just an announcement) on the 9th, and TT on the 10th...!?

Posted : 06/10/2023 2:31 am
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

They could do a bunch of demos tomorrow. Who knows (besides Yamaha). It'll "mostly" be over on the 10th although we see when products are released there's a trickle of things that start appearing like the artist sound collections and associated videos using the new gear (like recent CK). They've spaced this out in recent history so I'd sort of guess that there's going to be the same kind of trickle of information over time with most of the fireworks ending on the Tech Talk and then a parade to follow.

Posted : 06/10/2023 2:50 am
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

BTW - if you search you can find a retailer with advance information on the Montage M including memory differences and engines included. You'll find out what the "X" means in the M8X. I'm not too happy about that one considering I'm not planning on breaking my back with an 8. So, hypothetically if I bought an Montage M, it would not be a model with this "X" feature and I kind of think it's important for the synth action keybeds as well. The information may be incomplete, though. You'll also find out what that knob is in the left hand. At least I assume this new feature lives there.

So -- I guess I really didn't say anything - but if you find this same link you'll see a lot of answers.

I haven't been checking "the other board" so maybe there's already something there about this with less of a veil.

Posted : 06/10/2023 2:58 am
Page 3 / 7
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us