Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

What's in a name? (The M After Montage)

91 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member

Or the tech talk could be nothing but a 'here is what you will have at some point in the future when you can actually get your hands on one' type of thing.

In other words it may not be related to actual availability at all. Or there could be rationing for each country, store, etc meaning you may have to preorder one and then until they get around to shipping it to you.

Or not.

But I would expect them to at least announce at the tech talk when it will actually be available if it isn't immediate.

Posted : 06/10/2023 3:01 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

It would make sense for them to make the announcement tomorrow, space out the various demos and try to keep the hype going as long as they can ... Friday would be a perfect day to start! We'll soon see if that happens..!?
There's also 3rd party vendors who may be selling new Montage M libraries to be announced at some point too, as well as John Melas software, etc...not sure how long some of these might take before they advertise new products/libraries..!?

Thanks for the update, I'll have to check some retailers ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yeah, we can at least be assured to find out some details on the 10th if nothing before then!

Posted : 06/10/2023 3:04 am
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, that same site has pictures for the M7 and M8X (none for the M6 which is where I started looking). So you get to see the back and other areas with slightly better clarity than the sneak peek stuff. I say that because these are still 500x500 max files (on the smaller side). And that's only if you edit the link and change the path with the size to something bigger than the default even smaller size. Anyhow - there's a picture of the screen that's different than what I've seen before and it looks updated for what I think is the home screen showing each Part.

It's interesting what's hi-lighted. I've got to think there's more than that - we'll see.

EDIT: You'll also see if there's a sequencer or not integrated. There's a mention of the software side of things although no real answers. You'll learn interesting things about Polyphony. I think PJD could tell you what the likely internal architecture is related to that.

Posted : 06/10/2023 3:14 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

Wow, I found one site. I hope they have incorrect information, because they say the AN-X only has 16 note polyphony...wtf!?
And they say that the FM-X engine still has the same 128 note polyphony, and AWM2 for User memory still only has 128 notes..!? They said an additional 128 AWM2 for preset was added, but I don't use presets ever, so basically it's no more powerful than a MODX+ or Montage classic, except for 16 notes of AN-X ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
If this is true, what a let down this will be to many...and I will be so glad I am not in the market for a new synth right now or I would be extremely disappointed!

EDIT: Unless the 128 AWM2 means preset 'Waveforms' and 128 User 'Waveforms', instead of polyphony based off where the 'Performances' are stores (Preset or User memory)!? Either way it would do me no good, because I use 95% Waveforms from Preset memory and 100% Performances from User memory, so it depends on whether they mean Waveforms or Performances, but really is likely not going to give me anything extra...

Let's hope the music store I found is wrong!

Posted : 06/10/2023 3:39 am
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

You found it. I'll continue not really saying anything in detail - but there's a good way to use polyphony in a new way that's beneficial. As usual, I think there are other more detailed rules about how it works. Speculating a bit I can see good ways to use this.

In order to really take advantage of this it sure would help if the file system was easier to deal with. I don't know if this has changed significantly.

EDIT: I don't see why the information would be incorrect. The tech talk and manuals and other information (whenever we get that) will clear up a lot of things or help connect the dots. There are things that are described generically and I wonder if some of these things have enhancements or not. I know there's more to learn that cannot be gleaned even with this new information.

The AN1X is 10 note polyphonic so compared to it ... Also, analog usually has a polyphony limit and really mostly you would use it for monophonic stuff and maybe stack up unison mode (which I assume would still eat double polyphony).

Posted : 06/10/2023 3:47 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

How can they give the MODX+ 128 FM-X polyphony and give the new Flagship Montage M 128 FM-X polyphony..!? Doesn't make any sense to me... And only 16 notes for the AN-X..!? The Roland Fantom must have far more polyphony for their modelling engine(s) than 16 notes I would think..!? If so, and Yamaha only gave the Montage M 16 for the AN-X, I think they made a huge mistake...

It will be equally as interesting to find out how the AWM2 polyphony works..!?

Posted : 06/10/2023 3:53 am
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The Fantom has 256 total units of polyphony for zencore (where both sampled sounds aka PCM and VA live). So if all you're doing is VA then you get all 256 I guess. There may be limitations to what you can do per block (so maybe even if you "fill up" all 16 channels with VA then maybe you can't get 256). I'm not that versed on Fantom.

Stereo sounds take up two units of polyphony. Unison VA takes up two units of polyphony.

So it seems there's a lot more than 16 available (as long as you have no sampled sounds or few) but I don't know what's really practical. Also - I'm not sure of any of the details under the hood.

If you look for polyphony problem videos on Fantom - you'll have a lot to look at. There's a head-to-head with the same MIDI file played on a Fantom and Montage. Fantom choked and Montage didn't. You have to use the modeled pianos on Fantom to get no notes dropping which disables Roland's version of SSS since the modeled piano can't seamlessly switch with anything else.

I'm not sure why you'd need (as in imperative) more FM-X polyphony. That side of the fence hasn't been a choke point. When we understood that multiple carriers in one Part don't rob any more polyphony - you end up having a lot of oscillators that will be active at one point than you can do with AWM2.

So still not saying anything specific about the new keyboard - I think you just get a different set of tradeoffs with Fantom. Thus far even though the paper/specs say Fantom has more, it seems that Yamaha's implementations manage to do more with less.

Posted : 06/10/2023 4:31 am
david
Reputable Member

The MONTAGE M starts with the sound.

The 5.67 Gb of preset waveform memory on the original MONTAGE has been increased to 9.97 Gb. The 1.75 Gb of internal user memory has been increased to 3.8 Gb. This massive memory allows for deeply detailed samples creating impressive new sounds!
The MONTAGE M is the next generation with THREE sound engines included. The AWM2 engine has been refined even further ton provide high definition emulative sounds like piano, strings, and drums.
The AWM2 and FM-X are now complimented with a NEW AN-X sound engine that re-creates the sound and behavior of an analog synthesizer. This engine provides the warm, classic sound and behavior of an analog synthesizer.
The polyphony of these three engines has been increased to 400 notes (128 AWM2 preset, 128 AWM2 user, 128 FM-X, and 16 AN-X)!
The MONTAGE M is rounded out with an upgraded pure analog circuit that reduces noise and improves the dynamic range, crosstalk, low-frequency phase, and distortion rate, resulting in clearer sound at all volumes. The sound has more detailed low-mids and presence than the previous circuit.

The MONTAGE M improves with new control capabilities.

The MONTAGE M8X (88-key model) features a NEW GEX action with Polyphonic Aftertouch. The GEX action provides enhanced key repetition behavior that is typically found on grand pianos.
The MONTAGE M8X action is elevated with the use of Polyphonic Aftertouch, which was a control feature that was offered in the legendary Yamaha CS-80 and DX-1 synthesizers. It allows players to individually modulate held notes with additional pressure.
The MONTAGE M adds new performance controls with a five segment ribbon controller, a new keyboard HOLD button for sustaining chords while using knobs to edit, and a Portamento on/off button and dedicated time knob. These features all make the MONTAGE M even better when performing live.

Features by Model

Introducing MONTAGE M, the next-generation flagship synthesizer from Yamaha. Realize amazing sound with three engines that recreate warm vintage analog synths, cutting-edge FM synths, and ultra-realistic instruments. The Motion Control engine enhances these capabilities, adding a unique fourth dimension of control to your music making. Unlike traditional hardware synthesizers, MONTAGE M seamlessly bridges stage and studio with deep computer connectivity and integration. Designed to meet the needs of synthesists, keyboardists and pianists, MONTAGE M introduces a new era of sound, control and workflow in music creation.

All Model Features:

AWM2, FM-X, and AN-X sound engines
128 element AWM2 architecture for higher definition sound
Pure Analog Circuit 2 for clear harmonic reproduction and even frequency response
7โ€ TFT Full color wide VGA LCD touch display screen with streamlined workflow
512 x 64 pixel LCD quick edit display screen
Super knob (or assigned expression pedal) allows the control of eight real-time parameters with one motion
9.97 Gb of internal waveform memory
400 note total polyphony with 128 notes for AWM2 presets, 128 notes for AWM2 user memory, 128 notes for FM-X, and 16 notes for AN-X
3.8 Gb of internal flash memory for custom samples or synth library downloads
Virtual Circuitry Modeling (VCM) recreates the sound and behavior of vintage effects and signal processors
Send 32-channels and receive 6-channels of audio and send 16-channels of MIDI through a single USB cable
โ€œLive Setโ€ allows for easy organization and access of most used performance voices
โ€œSeamless Sound Switchingโ€ allows changing performances instantly without any cut-off in envelopes and effects
Modeless operation ensures all modifications to performance voices can be made quick and easy
8 faders and rotary encoders allow deep real-time control editing
Integrated 16-track sequencer and performance recorder
Full metal chassis with IEC power supply

MONTAGE M6

61 full-sized touch sensitive synth action keys
Non-leaded Fast Spring (FSX) key action for lightweight feel with the exacting amount of resistance
Channel aftertouch allows control over held notes

MONTAGE M7

76 full-sized touch sensitive synth action keys
Non-leaded Fast Spring (FSX) key action for lightweight feel with the exacting amount of resistance
Channel aftertouch allows control over held notes

Posted : 06/10/2023 6:14 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

"128 element AWM2 architecture for higher definition sound" certainly sounds interesting.
This is competing with VSTs.

Posted : 06/10/2023 10:48 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

@Jason, it looks like that knob in the Modwheel/Ribbon area is the Tempo knob you were wishing for ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted : 06/10/2023 11:26 am
Trusted Member

"128 element AWM2 architecture" likely means 16 parts * 8 elements per part - so we get 16 parts addressable from the keyboard. Nice upgrade!

Posted : 06/10/2023 11:28 am
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tempo knob? Not that it couldn't have multiple purposes (I do see a button leading to it) but I wouldn't say that it gives you tempo as an option from what I can see.

I think this has more to do with the new knob described that doesn't exist today. And for this kind of control you'd want it near pitch bend/mod wheel/ribbon/assign (XA control) because all of that relates.

I'd love it to be a tempo option.

Posted : 06/10/2023 1:11 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=123522]Tempo knob? Not that it couldn't have multiple purposes (I do see a button leading to it) but I wouldn't say that it gives you tempo as an option from what I can see.
[...]
I'd love it to be a tempo option.[/quotePost]

The MONTAGE M adds new performance controls with a five segment ribbon controller, a new keyboard HOLD button for sustaining chords while using knobs to edit, and a Portamento on/off button and dedicated time knob.

I think this has more to do with the new knob described that doesn't exist today. And for this kind of control you'd want it near pitch bend/mod wheel/ribbon/assign (XA control) because all of that relates.

That's EXACTLY where it is placed.

Posted : 06/10/2023 1:27 pm
Eminent Member

I always suspected that would be a glide knob, which would make sense to be located there.

Posted : 06/10/2023 1:30 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Time is not necessarily tempo. And they go into more detail about the apparent distance from tempo this would be. But I'd love to see a shift function. Not 100% necessary because if tempo was a destination then I could assign it to a knob or even better yet, make a Motion Sequence that automates the ritardando I would use a knob for.

Posted : 06/10/2023 1:36 pm
Page 4 / 7
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us