How to setup FW16E with external instruments in DAW

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi again,
I've purchased the FW16E interface (FW) and I have 2 questions about the way I want my setup to work and I'm trying my best to describe what I want in the following:
1- I have a series of VST's loaded in Mainstage. Is it possible to add the the FW output from the VSTs to the MIX in the MOTIF? So that I can apply compression on both the firewire output and MOTIF XF's output at the same time IN MOTIF XF? (not the DAW)?

2- This is exactly the reverse of the above, I get 16 outputs of FW in MainStage what are the steps in order to get MainStage receive each of them separately? And of course being able to record the Main out put out of MainStage?

Posted : 09/10/2016 4:31 pm
Bad Mister

1- I have a series of VST's loaded in Mainstage. Is it possible to add the the FW output from the VSTs to the MIX in the MOTIF? So that I can apply compression on both the firewire output and MOTIF XF's output at the same time IN MOTIF XF? (not the DAW)?

I'm sorry I don't understand the question. Not at all clear what you are talking about. In your mind how is a FW OUTPUT different from a Motif XF output?
And what DAW? What VSTs? Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.

2- This is exactly the reverse of the above, I get 16 outputs of FW in MainStage what are the steps in order to get MainStage receive each of them separately? And of course being able to record the Main out put out of MainStage?

I'm sorry again, not only don't I understand how this is the exact reverse. I don't know MainStage, perhaps you should consult Apple.

Posted : 10/10/2016 4:04 am
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Phil! I finally found the article I was looking for here. My apologies for the for the inconvenience 🙂

Posted : 13/10/2016 2:54 pm
Bad Mister

Care to share?

Posted : 14/10/2016 11:36 am
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

You're the boss Phil! Your wish is my command 🙂

I can't find the exact same article and I'm not home right now. But I'll find it and post it here. The Firewire card is "AMAZING"! I will post a picture of a simple set up that I got a 100% working "SIDE CHAIN" effect with MOTIF XF+Mainstage3 in addition to many many more!

Posted : 17/10/2016 4:20 pm
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I needed to know what are the 6 outputs and how to use them.

This is the article:
Title

I know this is very basic and many people should know how to do it in Mainstage. I'm just putitng it here for those who are not familiar with it like me:
I've attached a basic setup for making the side chain effect with Mainstage compressor to this post (In the AudioFX section you can add compressor and many more). Now my setup with MOTIF XF is complete.

I just encountered one issue, FW1&2 is not recognized by Mainstage. Also in the documentation there is no information about FW15&16. Isn't FW16E supposed to have 8 stereo outputs?

Attached files

Posted : 18/10/2016 3:10 am
Bad Mister

Yes, the first two are the main L&R
FW1&2
FW3&4
FW5&6
FW7&8
FW9&10
FW11&12
FW13&14
That totals 16 or 8 stereo pairs.

Posted : 19/10/2016 12:12 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us