Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Get sound from MOXF8 into my DAW via external interface and USB cable

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I use my existing audio interface (Scarlett 18i8 3rd gen) because it has phantom power for my condenser mic, and it has enough inputs to mic my drums.

I would like to be able to connect my MOXF8 to my existing interface via USB midi and be able to get the audio output. As I understand it, the USB cable on the MOXF is both bidirectional as well as carries audio and MIDI data.

Is there a way I can get the sound from the MOXF into my DAW without having to use the USB MIDI cable AND TRS cable on the 1/4" outputs?

Posted : 28/04/2020 10:59 pm
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Hello:

You can connect the audio to the Scartlett interface.
You can connect to the DAW via USB and record that digitally.

Depending on the DAW you can select one or the other, but more to the point:

" Is there a way I can get the sound from the MOXF into my DAW without having to use the USB MIDI cable AND TRS cable on the 1/4" outputs? "

I'm a bit unclear here...the answer is YES: Just connect to the Scarlett interface via audio in. You don't need TRS for this btw as MOXF is line level, not TRS balanced.

I would just use the Scarlett interface as you audio interface and use MOXF USB for just MIDI data. Unless I'm missing something here...

Posted : 06/05/2020 1:50 am
Topic starter

I apologize for not being more clear with my question.

Sometimes I use my MOXF to record MIDI data; other times I use the MOXF audio itself. Can I do both of these things with just the USB cable, or do I have to use the USB cable for MIDI and TS cables for audio?

Posted : 06/05/2020 2:36 am
Bad Mister

This depends on your computer. If you are using a Mac you can create an Aggregate Audio Device that would allow both the Focusrite and MOXF to send audio to the computer via USB. The MOXF can send audio to a computer (only) when you use it as an audio interface. Macintosh computers allow multiple audio devices to feed into your DAW via the creation of the Aggregate Audio Device.

If you do not have a Mac, then your options include switching audio devices... for example, if it is a one-person studio it is highly unlikely you would need to use both audio interfaces simultaneously. Switching audio interfaces (while possible is not always convenient from a logistical standpoint) in a DAW like Cubase this can be done without shutting down your the DAW or computer — this called “hot swapping”.

If swapping audio interfaces is not an option then you can record all audio through your Focusrite, simply connect the analog outputs of the MOXF to it with standard TS cables. Most audio interfaces include standard 5-pin MIDI I/O as well (if you are running short of USB ports on your computer)... so likely the Focusrite can be your MIDI interface as well.

Posted : 06/05/2020 9:15 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us