Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MOXF FL1024m flash card will not reformat and erase the user sounds on it

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, I have the FL1024M flash card installed in my MOXF, and i had installed the free Insiration in a Flash library off the Yamaha website. Then I installed the EDM expansion because it said it would not erase anything on the card, but it did. It saved over the user 2 part of the Inspiration sound set, which was the best part. The real problem is is now I can't erase it. I've tried to reinstall the Inspiration library but the EDM won't go away. Worse, I've tried to reformat the flash card a dozen times and no change. It says the card is completely free but all the user sounds are still there. How can I clear the card and start over? I like the EDM set, but not if it replaces anything on the Inspiration set. Now I have really expensive card I can't change.

Posted : 17/04/2020 11:24 pm
Bad Mister

Hi, I have the FL1024M flash card installed in my MOXF, and i had installed the free Insiration in a Flash library off the Yamaha website. Then I installed the EDM expansion because it said it would not erase anything on the card, but it did.

It told you correctly, it did not erase the Waveforms and Samples on the Flash Board. Loading a new All data will will overwrite the Voices in the User Bank, but it DOES NOT overwrite the Waveforms and Samples on the Flash Board.

When you load a file, say “Inspiration In A Flash”, it loads the Voice data to the User Bank locations and it installs the Waveforms and Samples onto the Flash Board. It creates a catalog that details where each User Voice will need to look to find the custom Waveforms and Samples.

The each User Bank Voice data is about 2KB of data, which is tiny in comparison to the Waveform and Samples which can be several hundred MB in size. Inspiration in a Flash contains around 466MB of data. You probably have held $2,000 In your hand, it is unlikely that you have ever held $466,000,00 in your hand... just to give you and idea of the scale we are dealing with here. Tiny amounts of data versus HUGE amounts of data.

It takes seconds to load the User Voices, but several minutes to instal the Waveforms and Samples. Once the large Waveform and Samples (466MB) are installed on your Flash Board, the next time you want to play any of those Voices, you can load “Inspiration in a Flash” in a matter of seconds versus having to wait several minutes to load.

You do this by loading the file *without* the Waveform — you can do so because the data is already installed to the Flash Board.
Instead of waiting with a cup of coffee while it loads, you will be playing the new file’s Voices in seconds. Think of the Waveforms and Samples on the Flash Board as an extension of the Factory Waveforms and Samples... you never have to wait for them to load because they remain permanently in memory... all 741MB of them. You simply load the User Voice data and the catalog tells each Voice where to find the Waveforms and Samples it needs. You Flash Board simply extends the Factory list of permanent data..

When you added the EDM data, it’s Waveforms and Samples DO NOT overwrite the Waveforms and Samples of “Inspiration in a Flash”... the new data is simply added onto the end of the list to the lowest numbered empty location. While loading the Voice data of EDM will overwrite the Voice data in the User Bank, it does not disturb the Waveforms and Samples already installed on your Flash Board.

The Waveform List is the *catalog* that remembers where each Sample is installed. Sampled Audio is HUGE in Size. The Waveform List is just a list of location pointers. Whenever you Load a file it is the Waveform List that *finds* the Samples.

You can view the currently installed Waveform List:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] FLASH
Press [SF2] DELETE
You will see the currently installed Waveforms 0001 ~ 2048
Use the Data Wheel to scroll down and view the List.
New data is simply added to the End of the List.

How the Flash Memory works:
Once you have installed Waveforms to your FLASH BOARD... You have created your own custom Waveform List. Those Waveforms will remain on your Flash Board from now until you either reFormat that Board or you manually DELETE them.

Every time you make a File your Waveform List will automatically be backed up to that File. Please recognize that YOUR Waveform List can and eventually will be unique to *YOUR* MOXF. It will be representative of the Waveforms that you Select to "keep". And it is mandatory that you always Load data from your own files - if you want to maintain the integrity of your list.
Because Waveforms can never be overwritten - new Waveforms are simply added to the END of the List

Whenever you load a File you must ask yourself: By Loading this new File, do I want to add new Waveforms to my Waveform List, or are the Waveforms already installed?

If you do not need to add new Waveforms, make sure the box "with waveform" is NOT marked.
As you can tell it takes time to install Waveform data, to avoid having to wait - to avoid duplicating Waveforms... Once your Waveforms are in place, you can simply load your files without adding new waveforms. It will be way, way, way quicker.

So say you FACTORY RESET your instrument... Which will return the User banks to the ones that came from the factory...
Then say, later on, you want to reload the Inspiration in a Flash VOICES. You will always want to reLoad the data from your own backup File. Because YOUR backup file represents exactly WHERE your Waveforms were installed on your Waveform List.
When you LOAD you would select to clear the box "with waveforms" because the waveforms for the "Inspiration in a Flash" are already installed on your Flash Board. So instead of 20 minutes, the Voices will load in 20 seconds.

To format your board:
Press [FILE]
Press [F6] FLASH
Press [SF1] FORMAT
Press [ENTER] to execute

Extra Credit:
Please see the following article to get a better understanding of how the Flash Board works:
MOXF Flash Memory

Posted : 18/04/2020 3:41 am
Topic starter

Thanks so much for the response! Very helpful. I'm new to all this. Thanks again.

Posted : 19/04/2020 7:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us