Notifications
Clear all

Pass incoming USB midi to DIN out?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 josh
Topic starter

Can the MOXF receive MIDI data via USB and transmit it out via DIN?

My situation.

I've got my ipad hooked up to my MOXF via the lightning USB adapter. The iPad is running a DAW (multitrackstudio) that is sending MIDI to to multiple MOXF tracks. I use an external sequencer because I have audio tracks that are also being played on the iPad DAW that must play in sync with my midi sequences. What comes out of the MOXF stereo outs is a mix of the MOXF sounds triggered by the ipad and the audio tracks playing back on the ipad.

I also need to send my drummer a click track. In the past (before we decided to incorporate audio tracks), I would use the MOXF's internal sequencer to play backing tracks and would use a spare midi track on the MOXF to pass data out of the MOXF's DIN to an old SR-16 drum machine that my drummer would hear in his headphone mix along with the MOXF audio output (a workaround for the fact that the MOXF only has one pair of audio outs). This has worked really well so far.

I'd like to do the same thing using the iPad sequencer (pass midi to the drummer via the MOXF din out) instead of the internal sequencer, and I"d like to do it without having to connect the ipad to anything other than the MOXF and without having to connect the MOXF to anything besides the ipad and SR16. Can it be done?

Thanks!

Posted : 15/07/2015 6:37 pm
Bad Mister

The answer is yes, it can.

MIDI Tracks assigned to trigger the MOXF will be routed to MOXF's MIDI Port 1
Any track you wish to send to the SR-16 should be routed on the MOXF's MIDI Port 3

Data on Port 1 triggers the MOXF's internal tone generator
Data on Port 3 triggers whatever you connect to the 5-pin MIDI jack on the back panel.
Setup the track you are going to feed to the drummer, set the MIDI OUT of that track to Port 3

Your MOXF can act as both an audio and MIDI interface for external devices. Make sure MIDI IN/OUT = USB

Posted : 15/07/2015 7:54 pm
 josh
Topic starter

Wonderful! Thanks so much. The fact that you have to select between either USB or the other option for MIDI IN/OUT on the utility screen left me concerned this wasn't possible. And now I finally know what all those additional MOXF midi ports are that keep showing up in my DAW!

Posted : 15/07/2015 8:46 pm
Bad Mister

USB Ports on the MOXF

Port 1 = the MOXF itself
Port 2 = DAW Remote Control (Cubase, Logic Pro, Sonar, Digital Performer)
Port 3 = 5-pin MIDI jacks In/Out
Port 4 = reserved for the MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor
Port 5 = Remote Editor to control VSTi running on your computer

Posted : 15/07/2015 9:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us