Notifications
Clear all

Several questions...

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Ray
Topic starter

I just got my MOXF8 set up today. I have rehearsal tonight! Help!!

1. I can't get it to default to a piano sound. How do I do that?
2. Using the sustain pedal the music store provided with the bundle (KSP100), plugged into the Sustain hole in back, it will not sustain. It switches back and forth in arpeggio mode (?) when I press the pedal.
3. How do I simply play the keyboard as a piano? lol

Thank you in advance!

Posted : 13/09/2017 3:46 pm
Bad Mister

1) Set the POWER ON Mode so that it powers on the piano.
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF6] OTHER
set the PowerOnMode = VOICE (PRE 1)
Press [STORE]

Or you can pick any VOICE you desire... then press [STORE] + [ENTER] simultaneously.

2) the store did not do you a favor (selling you something other than the Yamaha sustain pedal) but make sure it is plugged in the DEDICATED Sustain pedal jack - you have it plugged into the Assignable Foot Switch jack (that will not work)... You must be plugged into the Sustain Pedal jack.

3) The only answer I can give is the answer Oscar Peterson gave after one of his spectacular keyboard burning runs, someone asked him "How did you do that?"
Oscar: "One note after the other!!!"

Now go enjoy your rehearsal!!!

Posted : 13/09/2017 5:46 pm
 Ray
Topic starter

If it's that simple, you're my new hero! However, I DID have it plugged into the dedicated sustain jack. It also came with a KSP20 pedal, which I had plugged into (and unplugged from) the assignable jack. It didn't make a difference if it was plugged in or not, the sustain still didn't work...

Thank you, though.

So, you're saying that I can pick "Concert Grand" and then just hold [store] + [enter] and that will be my default sound when I power on?

Posted : 13/09/2017 6:18 pm
Bad Mister

I never heard of the KSP20 and it does NOT come with Yamaha keyboards.

You should get the pedal recommended in your manual; the genuine Yamaha "FC3A" is preferred because it lets you take advantage of Yamaha's Half Dampering function which adds realism to the sustain function - instead of just an ON/OFF it is a pedal that you can control nuance.

Go to [UTILITY]
Press [F4] CTL ASN (Controller Assign)
Sustain Pedal Select

Your pedal is probably a TS connector so set this parameter to FC4/5 Type

The aforementioned FC3A has a TRS jack - If your pedal only has a TS jack then set it to FC4/5 type...

Then after your rehearsal go back to the store and demand genuine Yamaha pedals!

Posted : 13/09/2017 6:22 pm
 Ray
Topic starter

So, you're saying that I can pick "Concert Grand" and then just hold [store] + [enter] and that will be my default sound when I power on?

The KSP100 looks like a sustain pedal. The KSP20 is a foot switch.

Posted : 13/09/2017 6:24 pm
 Ray
Topic starter

Here's the KSP20

Attached files

Posted : 13/09/2017 6:28 pm
 Ray
Topic starter

The KSP100

Attached files

Posted : 13/09/2017 6:29 pm
Bad Mister

The other end of the pedal is what is in question TS (Tip Sleeve) or TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve)

Yikes... Get an FC3A (are you a piano player?) get a Yamaha FC3A!!!!

Posted : 13/09/2017 6:30 pm
Carlo

OK, I know it's late for the rehearsal and probably solved. Anyway...
As BM spotted, your KS100 is a switch pedal (the connector is a TS type) so you should configure your MOXF to use a FC4/5 type pedal.
Then if the pedal works in reverse mode (sustain when released and not when pressed), use the switch on its bottom to revert its "polarity" (I will never understand why people use this term for a passive element to indicate the normally open vs. normally closed configuration, but that's it).
And yes, you should get a FC3 pedal if you want the half-pedal behavior 😉

Posted : 16/09/2017 4:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us