24 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi there

Thanks for your replies so far.

I have been using performances, however often in my band songs I might play a bass in the left hand throughout the whole song, but play (at separate times) piano, strings, or say organ in the right hand.
To set this up I use the note range function to split the keyboard and assign the first part of the song (bass and piano) to midi ch 1, the second part (bass and strings) to midi ch 2 and the third part (bass and organ) to midi ch 3. (There is a limit to this in terms of the inserts allowable so I would probably not go past 3 sections if I can help it.)
My interpretaton of this is that were I to use a volume pedal and since I have assigned both parts to the same midi channel then I would get the volume on both parts increasing as I am not actually using a split.
Or maybe I can, even for two sounds on the one midi channel, get one part (the right hand part - piano, organ or strings) only to respond to the volume/expression pedal?
Basically what I am trying to do is use multiple splits within a performance and so have a constant bass going through the performance but be able to dynamically (i.e. during the performance) be able to adjust the lead (or right hand part) volume (with the right hand being a different sounds in different sections of the song.)
Is the MX capable of this, or if not is this something that can be done with a higher level (eg MOXF synth)?
thank you for your patience.
David

Posted : 15/04/2016 10:07 am
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi Mr Bad,

I have answered some of my own question already - I have seen that I can use the "receive switches" on the Midi page (in Vycro) to individually control part volume for parts on the same midi channel.

Not sure how, or if possible, to assign foot controller to part volume control in Vycro (or can I do this only via Utility menu on the MX?)

If I go to Utility and then to FC1 the default setting appears to be 11 [Expression], while FC2 defaults to 04[FootCtrl] - don't know what this means?

The FC1 default setting seems OK for what I want to do (volume control) - does this setting stay constant through all my created performances and in the MX 01 default performance? I.e. if I set it ( or leave it on default) at the start of the gig, will it remain so throughout the gig, i.e it is not part of the performances as such ?

Any advice you can give on this or the previous question would be much appreciated.

David

Posted : 15/04/2016 11:03 am
Bad Mister

If I go to Utility and then to FC1 the default setting appears to be 11 [Expression], while FC2 defaults to 04[FootCtrl] - don't know what this means?

These UTILITY mode settings for what a controller is going to do are global. And will apply throughout. Basically, by default, an FC7 plugged into the MX will act as an Expression pedal - allowing you to control the audio output level of the currently *selected* Part.

The MX is sixteen Part multi-timbral. When the [PART SELECT] button is illuminated, the numbered button 1-16 each access a different Voice program. As you select the Part, the keyboard and all its controllers, including the FC7 will be applied to it.

In UTILITY mode FC1 defaults to Expression (cc011) which allows you to set a separate Volume in the MX. Say you are playing a B3 organ Part, along with other Parts being triggered by an external sequencer. You determine that your B3 sound never needs to be louder than 96 (on the scale from 1-127), you can set the PART VOLUME to 96, this would then be the maximum "toe-down" position of the Expression pedal. The Expression works "within" the maximum set by the Part Volume.

If you'd prefer to not use the FC7 as a dedicated way to control volume output, you could opt to designate it as FC2. FC2 defaults to sending cc004 which unlike cc011 doesn't have a dedicated function - you tell it what control on a case by case basis within the voice. You would opt for this when you wish to pre-program the foot pedal to different roles for your different Performances. For example, say you need a Wah-Wah Pedal for a Clavinet in one instance, and a way to control volume in another, and a way to Pan something in yet another. cc004 is flexible and can be (must be) programmed to different destinations within the Voice architecture. This second more flexible function requires pre programming your setups ahead of time.

But there is only one Foot Controller jack on the MX... So you must choose to go with one dedicated assignment (FC1) or for the programmable assignment (FC2). In order to use this FC2 feature you must make FC1's Utility mode assignment = FC2's assignment. That is:
FC1 =04 [FootCtrl]
FC2 =04 [FootCtrl]

Then in each case you must edit the target sound.

The FC1 default setting seems OK for what I want to do (volume control) - does this setting stay constant thropugh all my created performances and in the MX 01 default performance? I.e. if I set it ( or leave it on default) at the start of the gig, will it remain so throughout the gig, i.e it is not part of the performances as such ?

Yes it remains throughout.

Posted : 18/04/2016 1:53 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

thanks man!

Posted : 19/04/2016 10:19 am
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

HI there,

I set

FC1 =04 [FootCtrl]
FC2 =04 [FootCtrl]

and then go to Voice Cntrl Set in the voice Edit .
I go to Set 4 set source as FC2(04)
and Dest as Volume
Depth is defualt 63.

My understanding is that the foot controller should now control volume for that voice.

Doesn't seem to be happening.

Can you see what I'm doing wrong?

thanks in advance

Dave

Posted : 07/05/2016 10:43 am
Bad Mister

Can you see what I'm doing wrong?

The Foot Controller is a physical control that goes from a minimum 0 toward a maximum 127. You have set the "volume" parameter to follow this controller, what you are missing is that in order for the "volume" to follow the position of the pedal you must set that volume to minimum... Change the Volume to 0, and STORE the program - (the initial volume setting represents the minimum) - now the position of the pedal will match the volume output.

Actually you can set the minimum value as you desire, but if the minimum is maximum when you move the pedal you will not hear any change. Make sense?

Hope that helps.

Posted : 07/05/2016 2:00 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi There!

When you say "STORE the program" - are you talking about storing a perfromance or storing a voice? Or is the something else besides a user voice or a performance that can be stored on the MX?

Is it easier to do this foot controller assignments using the melas voice editor?

Up till now I've only used vycro for performave editing...but it sounds like for foot controller assignments it might be easier to do through the melas editor as I don't seem to be having much luck via the front panel (with anything other than default expression...)

thanks

Dave

Posted : 21/05/2016 1:15 am
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi There!

Just following on from a response from the Bad Mister on 20 May 2016 in "Audio via USB discussion"

When you say "STORE the program" - are you talking about storing a performance or storing a voice? Or is there something else besides a user voice or a performance that can be stored on the MX?

Is it easier to do this foot controller assignments using the melas voice editor?

Up till now I've only used vycro for performance editing...but it sounds like for foot controller assignments it might be easier to do through the melas editor as I don't seem to be having much luck via the front panel (with anything other than default expression...)

thanks

Dave

Posted : 27/05/2016 10:54 am
Bad Mister

Yes, we are talking about editing the Voice (not the Performance), to make such a change you will need the Voice Editor (not the Performance Editor). The Edit is deep within the Voice engine where you can assign Element level parameters to controllers. The parameters necessary are not available from the front panel of MX and are only available in the Voice Editor.

In the attached screenshot you can see the Melas Voice Editor... I used a Synth Lead Voice called "Wind Synth". I reduced the Common VOLUME to 0 (this biases the volume output to the position of the controller).
I reprogrammed it so FC2 is assigned in CONTROL SET #2 to control COMMON VOLUME. (I changed the Portamento Time assigned to the Ribbon Controller... This Voice taken from the Motif XS had Ribbon Control assignment)

By setting the overall Voice VOLUME to 0 the position of the pedal will now mimic the output. When Heel Down you hear minimum, when Toe Down you hear maximum.

If you have made your:
FC1 = 04[FootCtrl]
FC2 = 04[FootCtrl]
This will work. You'll need the Melas Voice Editor.

Attached files

Posted : 27/05/2016 12:45 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us