Clear all

AN1x Voice/Scene(s) question??

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 joel
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I've just recently purchased an AN1x...so I'm still in learning curve.

Here is what I think I understand..(please correct me if I'm wrong).....

Each voice contains (2) scenes. There are 128 voice locations; therefore, there must be 256 scene locations??

If I understand correctly, it is possible to load (or copy) a Scene (into a Voice) that is already been used in a Scene in another Voice location. ??

Once a Scene has been 'copied' into a Voice, that 'scene' is now being used by two different Voices. If I edit-&-save the scene in the current voice, does the edit affect the same scene being used in a different Voice? I assume that a Yamaha-Scene is equivalent to what Roland calls a TONE; say, for example, in a MKS-80 Super Jupiter, whereby 2 Tones make up a PATCH; and if the same Tone is being used in two different Patches, it is not possible to edit-&-save that Tone with out affecting that same Tone being used in a different Patch.

Please correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.

Thanks,

Posted : 31/12/2015 7:56 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Joel,

Forgive me if I'm a little rusty on remembering the AN1x... It has been 19 years since it came out.

Each voice contains (2) scenes. There are 128 voice locations; therefore, there must be 256 scene locations??

Each of the 128 User Voice locations can have a Scene 1 and a Scene 2. A "scene" is a Yamaha term that came from our digital mixers and represents a 'snapshot' of the current condition of the parameters. A Scene can be a variation of the current Voice or it can be an entirely different instrument sound... It is possible to switch between them or even morph (fade) between the conditions. A very unique and powerful function.

If I understand correctly, it is possible to load (or copy) a Scene (into a Voice) that is already been used in a Scene in another Voice location. ??

Yes. A scene being a snapshot of the settings they can be easily copied to any Voice. Say you have a Voice where the condition of the parameters creates a string sound... You could move the parameters to create a brass sound. Each of these could be a Scene.
Think 'snapshot' of the parameters... It matters not if the sounds are related or very far apart... Each represents a complete arrangement of the An1x paramters. You can Copy a Scene from one Voice into one of the locations of another Voice.

Once a Scene has been 'copied' into a Voice, that 'scene' is now being used by two different Voices.

Incorrect. I know what your trying to say, but once a Scene is copied, it has no relationship with nor does it reference the original source any longer - it is independent. That new Voice is no longer aware and does not care where the data came from - it doesn't care if you programmed it from scratch or you copied from somewhere else. You are free to customize it independent of the source from which you copied it!

If I edit-&-save the scene in the current voice, does the edit affect the same scene being used in a different Voice?

Not at all.

I assume that a Yamaha-Scene is equivalent to what Roland calls a TONE; say, for example, in a MKS-80 Super Jupiter, whereby 2 Tones make up a PATCH; and if the same Tone is being used in two different Patches, it is not possible to edit-&-save that Tone with out affecting that same Tone being used in a different Patch.

Sorry, I don't know how Roland products work, but that doesn't sound too useful, and is not at all how the Yamaha An1x works. At Yamaha we try to avoid that scenario, so that you don't wind up fixing a leak here and creating one over there. Each Scene has its own memory location and can be edited separately, independently. You do not have to worry about changing something serendipitously.

Hope that helps... Enjoy your An1x!

Posted : 31/12/2015 11:39 pm
 joel
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Continuing with the scene subject.....

Page 19 of the AN1x manual begins the section that explains SCENES. Page 22 explains how to Load a Scene – for which I am interested in learning more.

Correct me if I’m wrong…but it seems that you can only Load a Scene from Scene 1 of one voice to Scene 1 of another voice or from Scene 2 of one voice to Scene 2 of another voice.

I don’t see in the manual that explains how to:
-- load Scene 1 from one Voice into Scene 2 of another Voice; OR
-- load Scene 2 from one Voice into Scene 1 Voice of another Voice; OR
-- (most importantly), load, say, Scene 1 into Scene 2 of the Current Voice or visa-versa-- which may seem redundant, but could be used for "thickening" purposes once you edit-&-detune the 2nd Scene ??

Is this possible?

Posted : 07/01/2016 10:20 pm

To copy a scene you can store the current patch, swap the scenes, and then load one of the scenes from the stored patch. It's cumbersome though, and could definitely have had a shortcut key.

Posted : 14/01/2020 4:59 am

Hello,

I read the AN1X manual several times about this topic, but I can't find a way to copy a scene from a voice to a scene of a different voice.
I have a song played live where I'de like to switch two sounds quickly (switching scene 1 to scene 2). But the two sounds are from two different voices.

Is there a way to do make it work ?

Thanks

Posted : 08/05/2020 2:28 pm
Bad Mister

Is there a way to do make it work ?

Yes. Here’s what you’ll need:

“Scene Load Function“ page 22
“Scene Swap Function” Page 22

Scene 1 can be moved to Scene 1 of any other Voice
Scene 2 can be moved to Scene 2 of any other Voice

If your goal is to combine two sounds that each exist in a Scene 1 location, obviously, you need to use the “Scene Swap Function“ to make room. I don’t know if writing it out will make it easier or just more confusing. Just know that a Scene 1 can only be moved to another Scene 1. Therefore it is necessary to Swap 1 with 2, then use the Scene 1 to Scene 1 to Load the other.

Posted : 08/05/2020 7:13 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us