Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

There is a sound issue with the YC73

15 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I ordered the YC73 myself to test out the keybed, while the keybed felt great the dynamics of the sounds including the organ were drastically changed even with running the same patches that I used on my YC61.

I thought I was going crazy, spent an entire day comparing each patch I create and the YC61 has a better dynamic than the YC73.

It seemed as if the YC73 is alpt more compressed and dare I say drier than the YC61.

Unfortunately I had to send my YC73 back. Very disappointed

Posted : 12/08/2023 6:01 am
Prominent Member

the dynamics of the sounds including the organ were drastically changed even with running the same patches that I used on my YC61.

I don't have hands-on experience with either of those models but do want to mention some things that can manifest differences between models. Of course I don't know if these apply in your case.

1. Using balanced outputs and cables versus unbalanced outputs and cables - this can cause a difference in sound because unbalanced cables are more susceptible to picking up noise.

The manuals for the 61 and 73 show that the 61 ONLY has unbalanced outputs while the 73 has both balanced and unbalanced outputs.

I can't tell from the videos what you are using. Are you using unbalanced cables and connections on both instruments?

2. Using diffferent speakers can cause differences. In the videos you appear to be unplugging and replugging a single cable but I can't tell what that cable is for.

Are you using the same set of speakers for both instruments?

3. Preset configuration differences - I can't tell what, if any, presets you might be using. But the preset performance and/or effect parameter settings could be different on the two instruments for the same performance or effect. One instrument could also have additional effect parameters that can influence a sound.

4. Internal algorithm differences - envelope curve algorithm curves could be different on the two models. The same envelope setting might be following a different algorithm for making changes.

5. velocity programming changes - sometimes even the slightly difference in velocity can make a different in sound. Later, or higher-end models tend to have more expansive velocity handling capability and the manufacturer will often change presets in order to take advantage of that.

Again - I'm not at all saying there isn't an issue with the instrument itself. Just trying to highlight some of the more common reasons that things sound differently on different models.

Unfortunately yours is the type of question that a lot of people won't respond to since there isn't much anyone can really do to help.

Your ears are the best tools for that kind of testing. So you did the right thing sending it back if you don't like what you hear.

Posted : 12/08/2023 4:42 pm
david
Reputable Member

Yes same thing as we discussed but I was comparing the CK61 to the YC73. Yamaha has messed up the YC73 in some way I'm sure but it plays better using the Osmose as the controller. By "better" I mean waveform samples on the YC73 can't even be triggered unless you go into the settings and change it for every single patch. When I MIDI up to the Osmose it triggers the full velocity range that should be happening anyway. They attempted to fix it with an OS update but without a global fix it's useless. I played with it trying everything but either when you turn up the entire velocity curve then everything smacks you in the face. There's no proper dynamics. I typically can't tell any difference in the soft, hard, normal settings doesn't really fix anything. Exactly why companies don't need to be in the keybed/key triggering/mechanism design business because other options work far better. I mean if they sell a board thinking no one will ever compare them to discover it sucks they are wrong. It can't be an afterthought, the keys are the interface to the music, performance and expression. That can't be messed up.

There's one item that really pisses me off. Might be the case on other lines as well. Only on the 88 do they offer more sensors for better dynamic playing. What the hell kind of thinking is that? So we screw everyone else not buying the 88 and you get crappy action/dynamics. That's stupid but that's Yamaha. I laughed because Osmose for pennies released something they can't do. IF you can't figure out how to make your keys play correctly don't build them. Why wouldn't a 61 key or 73 key player also want and fully expect the best action and dynamics available? IF you can't do it we'll go to someone who can.

Posted : 12/08/2023 8:56 pm
Topic starter

Thank you. I thought I was going crazy, I even sent in a ticket to Yamaha showing the same videos and they claimed to not hear any difference like what?. So yes the dynamics are definitely different In a bad way on the yc73. My purposes for testing it out was to hopefully have more keys even tho not waterfall, my only option is to either keep the yc61 which I still love or trade out for say a Nord stage 3 73 with waterfall keys. I hate when companies sort of "micro-change" things in products just to make you buy the other. Like why would thr YC73 not be able to have the full dynamics that the YC61 one has if not more ?

Posted : 12/08/2023 9:45 pm
Topic starter

@andrew I was unplugging and replugging my Irig Stream into the headphone jack of both the YC73 and the YC61.

@david changing the touch curve on the YC73 to soft help a bit but not enough

Posted : 12/08/2023 9:48 pm
david
Reputable Member

The difference between the YC73 and using Osmose as the controller is like night and day. I should make that video also. Yours might be hard to interpret over audio but I thought the lower base samples on mine didn't trigger until I went to up 128 or used the Osmose. I sort of barely played them. How can I explain this? If there were 10 velocity variations like 1 through 10 with 1 being the lowest samples on a piano. The 73 would only play a 9 or a 6 or a 3 whereas the Osmose would play all 1 thru 10 variations from barely a sound to full on. Not just volume but waveform samples like they didn't trigger no matter how hard I struck the key until I turned it up from 64 to 128 and then it played to forward. I'm not sure how all the technical triggering works between the software and the hardware but I can imagine if the physical mechanism isn't good enough it doesn't matter what the software attempts to do to compensate. These are "STAGE BOARDS" which are supposed to lead the way or be top shelf at performance and triggering and sensing. That's their MO or forte. They don't have 10,000 voices inside them but they are supposed to do piano or brass or strings better than any other board you can buy because that's all they do. IF the mechanism doesn't translate then it's defective for what it's supposed to do. We paid a premium for stage board superiority. I think the purpose and fundamental principle for what a stage board is supposed to be has gotten watered down or lost in translation.

Nords are twice the price so even though Yamaha has some issues they probably still offer a better value not that I have a Nord but there are videos and the price points are obvious.

Posted : 12/08/2023 10:11 pm
Topic starter

Agreed. Honestly if there was a 73 waterfall keybed yc with just a tad bit wider keys I would but it asap. But since there isn't that's where say a nord compact would come in but still would have to weigh pros and cons of both, I'm liking the overall tweakability of the YC just not enough keys at times

Posted : 12/08/2023 10:15 pm
david
Reputable Member

Yes you really have to play them side by side to feel the difference. It's almost a feel more than a sound but it's also a sound. It forces you have to play more stressfully to compensate to control it when it should be easy. I was having to bang and bottom out against the stop to trigger the sample. When you switch to another controller it's completely different. What manufactures should do is have a standard master controller to test/compare their latest creation against and if it fails start over until it plays correctly.

Posted : 12/08/2023 10:25 pm
Topic starter

Agreed

Posted : 12/08/2023 10:31 pm
david
Reputable Member

I guess no one makes a waterfall keyboard controller with more keys. The keys on the YC73 feel amazing it's just they don't perform well.

Posted : 12/08/2023 10:39 pm
Topic starter

Right. I might order the stage 3 compact from nord and compare everything this week to see how I like it

Posted : 12/08/2023 11:56 pm
Prominent Member

I might order the stage 3 compact from nord and compare everything this week to see how I like it

You're going at it the right way. Used to be the retailers carried all the models so you could try them in the shop.

Nowadays you need to plan ahead and figure out ahead of time just what things you want to test and then buy one and put it through your test plan so you can return it within the warranty period if it doesn't meet your expectations.

And keep in mind that different models of the SAME keyboard can have different specs. The Montage has more polyphony than the Modx and the audio interface supports more channels over USB. Those are in addition to the better keybed, beefier chassis and more front panel controls.

Posted : 13/08/2023 12:04 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I understand velocity sensitive content - but if organs, which are not velocity sensitive, sound different then it's not the keyboard (for just those specific sounds). I wonder if the DACs are the same.

Posted : 13/08/2023 12:42 am
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=122854]Honestly if there was a 73 waterfall keybed yc with just a tad bit wider keys I would but it asap. But since there isn't that's where say a nord compact would come in [/quotePost]
[quotePost id=122858]I guess no one makes a waterfall keyboard controller with more keys.[/quotePost]

There are some other options, though. Besides the Nord Stage Compact 3 (and its predecessors), there's also the Nord Electro 6D 73 (and its predecessors), the Hammond SK Pro 73 (and SK1 that preceded it), the Roland VR-730, the apparently recently discontinued Dexibell J7 Combo and Numa Organ 2 (and its predecessor). The Numas functioned as 61-keys when playing the internal organ sound (the bottom 12 keys were for preset selection), but functioned as 73-key controllers when triggering external sounds over MIDI. All of these have/had wider keys than the YC.

Posted : 13/08/2023 1:39 pm
david
Reputable Member

I have a like new SKpro73 for sale on Reverb (Nornz N gear) but obviously it's a lot more than only a dedicated controller but probably cheaper than any Nord. But yeah if you have to have more waterfall keys and maybe the best organs available under $3K Hammond has that option.

Posted : 13/08/2023 10:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us