Notifications
Clear all

No sound on MainStage using my CP 4 as midi controller

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 ira
Topic starter

I can't get any sound out of my Mac while using CP4 to drive MainStage. I downloaded the driver and MainStage is receiving midi messages from the CP4, but no sound comes out, even when there is headphones plugged into the output jack on the computer. But if I go to Garage Band, there is sound. I think there is a setting in the CP4 that is keeping it from happening.. Any clues?

Posted : 06/02/2019 6:39 pm
Bad Mister

Sending MIDI is only one half the battle. MIDI is not sound, no one has ever heard MIDI... MIDI is a series of coded messages that represent a musical Performance... like the holes punched in a Player Piano Roll, they only represent the performance. In order to turn this data back into sound, something must be connected to interpret that data and create sound.

MIDI messages can be used to trigger other tone engines (as you have discovered). If you want the MIDI data generated by the CP4 STAGE to trigger the CP4 STAGE tone engine, you must “return” that MIDI data from MainStage to the CP4 STAGE’s MIDI In. This is a routing issue.

It is not clear exactly what you’re trying to do, but when “LOCAL CONTROL” is set to OFF, in your keyboard, this disconnects the keys and controllers from triggering the internal sound engine... MIDI messages are routed Out and can be used to trigger whatever tone engine you choose. If you choose the CP4 simply complete the routing by sending the MIDI data back to the CP4 on Port 1

When LOCAL CONTROL is set to ON, the CP4 plays (sounds) normally.

Posted : 06/02/2019 7:00 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us