Notifications
Clear all

user setlist via MIDI

24 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Sladjan

Badmister,
the fact that each Performance has its own msb/lsb and pc doesn't mean much in a real life situation. The performance mode is not the mode where the user is meant to play the keyboard live. It's the setlist view. That is the only mode where we can accesses performances directly on the keyboard and without scrolling thru lists and searching for names because that is not how people work in a live situation.

The limitation on the setlist view is indeed a limitation. A single page contains 256 slots. You may think that a single slot equals to a single song and a performance created for that song, but we do often use more than one performance for a single song because we use different sounds for different parts and that requires a new performance if splitting the keyboard isn't enough.
Even more, using a foot pedal to select the subsequent slots and performances uses even more slots. Here an easy example:

Imagine you have a song with the structure: chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse
Imagine you need two different performances for the chorus and for the verse.

Now if I want to use a foot pedal to step thru the parts of the song and keep my hands free for playing, I actually need six slots because I cannot step down from the verse performance back to the chorus performance. Instead, I need to copy those performances and put them in a line so that I can just step thru up to the end of the song.
That means, one single song would occupy six slots and in that way 256 slots can be used up pretty much fast.

On the other side, I use a setlist app from my ipad to select the very first slot with the first performance for my song. And if I use up all slots on my first page in the setlist mode of the Montage, I have to change to the second page manually.
That doesn't make any sense, it is very confusing live on stage and I don't see a reason for such a limitation! It's the same as if Yamaha would allow Motif users to select via midi just the Bank A but not the other ones.

If Jasons method for selecting pages by using sysex strings work, this is indeed fantastic but I agree with others here, we have to deal with an unnecessary limitation.

Posted : 08/11/2018 12:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Since shuffling Set List may not be possible in all cases, if the band leader decided to call out a tune from your 3rd bank, you may have to stomp the FS 512 times. Of course, manually selecting bank 3 with the touchscreen would be easier. Just pointing out that footswitch live set advance is not a silver bullet for all use cases.

For now, assuming FS will advance from slot #128 to slot 1 of the next bank (haven't confirmed, leveraging the other post), you'll just have to be fully prepared with your Live Set in order.

I understand the notion to use Performances directly. Perhaps what is missing is software that manages this method so perhaps a user can use a footswitch to advance. There are low cost Bluetooth or wireless buttons for taking selfies that can be used as buttons. There are more expensive music page turn pedals too. Just missing software to handle exactly all features make a virtual setlist, easy to rearrange, and method to advance and/or go backwards through the list.

There may be "almost there" solutions. Apparently, there isn't one that hits all requested features.

On a different note, my MSB/LSB/PC examples were only to illustrate theoretical possibilities. They do not exist nor were they presented as the best way to do this. Just helpful to have concrete examples to avoid confusion of what users have been requesting. There also may be limitations. Just hoping to inspire something rather than dictate any specific solution.

Posted : 08/11/2018 3:16 pm
Bad Mister

Now if I want to use a foot pedal to step thru the parts of the song and keep my hands free for playing, I actually need six slots because I cannot step down from the verse performance back to the chorus performance. Instead, I need to copy those performances and put them in a line so that I can just step thru up to the end of the song.
That means, one single song would occupy six slots and in that way 256 slots can be used up pretty much fast.

Exactly what I’m saying. At six slots per song, they do not get used up that fast, at all... that would cover a 44 song set.

Look, it is not an argument, you could always invent some scenario that will not be possible — it is a matter of what you can do now — with what is currently in the product. ((If you have serious suggestions that include how you would like to work, please participate in the ideascale project)). In the meantime, you have the 256 step Set List built-in. You have access to every Performance via MIDI (either MSB/LSB or via bulk). You have a good understanding of how it works, you have a better idea of what makes you comfortable. What we attempt to do here is make sure users are aware of how it works (now), they will have to figure what combination of workflows make them the most comfortable..

No one would step on a pedal 512 times in a row to get somewhere (thought this was a serious discussion)... you have to pick the method that works best for you. Obviously, a set that goes down exactly the same every night — that’s who the FS advance function is for. I’ve worked with many Broadway show folks where this makes life easy. If you never know what’s coming next or your set list changes every night (the biggest group of complaints) well, you’re used to being confused! What’s new? If you are using an external controller, then the MSB/LSB/PC method is your best bet, at that point you can choose to use the Live Set function or not. Another option is bulk dumping your Performance from an external device (iPad)... this would work if you work within the one Performance. Great if you never know what’s next but limited in each bulk is very isolated.

But what often is solved the shortest way is not always solved the best way. I just ask you consider the various alternatives available... even if they involve some programming / pre-planning...

Example, if you need to move between several sounds in a stage performance, you could move from one Performance to another to another; certainly that’s perhaps the quickest, easiest way (particularly when taking already made programs and using them in a row), I just want to point out that another method to accomplish your goal is to “merge” some of those programs you were switching between into a Performance... not to conserve slots as much as to make the performing of the sound transition fit exactly into what your doing.

If you’re looking for some magical one fix that fits all... (you will not find one) there is no one way to work, and I bet there is no one solution for everyone. Having access to a variety of methods seems the best direction to go. Instead of moving linearly through the list and having to repeat program entries, see if you can solve the issue satisfactorily by merging those instrument sounds. Rather than sitting around looking argue, attempt to use the design concept.

Last point: you’ll find both large and efficient combination Performances. The CFX + Pad, CFX + Orch, etc., etc., sounds come in versions using the multiple Part CFX, and the Single Part CFX... The ‘efficient’ version invites you to “merge” the instrument sound you require to move to next. That way a single gesture takes care of the transition, there and back.
That’s what we are going to concentrate on here — working with and applying what’s available to the user, now. (And if/when they change the firmware, we’ll help explain, if necessary, how to get it to work for you).

Posted : 08/11/2018 5:16 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The 512 footstomp example was in response to a user who seemed to have remove (deleted) their post. Not sure if you had the context. But the general gist was that everything was fine since FS advance would "wrap around" to the next bank - and I still haven't verified if this is correct - that they were covered. The point was to give an obvious case where FS+ doesn't cover random access to banks if the bank was too far away. That's a serious enough response, I believe - that using FS advance as a way to proceed through banks has a very narrow window of usage and that there are many more cases where FS advance does not serve (according to the deleted post).

I do completely agree that one must best utilize the system as-is until something better comes along - if it ever does. It's good to have discussions like this which outline the boundaries so users are aware where the edge of the map is. I always look at these boundaries as good things to know rather than lament that they exist. That's where the scuba mask comes in - for me, programming with limits is more fun than programming without them.

I do think the original question has been completely covered as well as several alternative "live" Performance management techniques.

For the ideascale item which covers this topic, see: https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Select-Montage-Set-List-BANK-from-Midi/210106-45978

(it was opened in late Aug 2018)

Here, the idea creator plays in several bands and organizes each bank as one of the many bands they play in.

Posted : 09/11/2018 12:07 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

That means, one single song would occupy six slots and in that way 256 slots can be used up pretty much fast. Exactly what I’m saying. At six slots per song, they do not get used up that fast, at all... that would cover a 44 song set.

That´s true if you like to start your song with any slot. But it is not clear
One page for one song ( name of the page = name of the song ) is much clearer

Posted : 12/11/2018 4:57 pm
Walter

Call up the Performance
Touch the Performance Name box to see the pop-in menu
Touch “Property”.....

I've been away from this forum for awhile (too busy making music!), but was looking for the answer to the question from the OP. There it was on the second page!

Thanks Bad Mister!

Walt

Posted : 21/11/2018 4:04 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I´ll wait till the 12th of December. Camelot Pro will be available and hope that it solves my problems

Posted : 21/11/2018 4:33 pm
Prominent Member

Seagreg, what is it specifically that you're hoping Camelot Pro will let you do?

Posted : 26/11/2018 1:23 pm
Sergio

Seagreag, I fully understand your intentions. I managed to solve this in one way:

iPad + App: Midi Designer Pro

I have all the performances I use and I change the order when needed. It's worth spending some time on that.

Posted : 26/11/2018 11:52 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us